The CPD Framework was published in April 2014 and it articulates the standards and rules governing the CPD process.
In March 2020, the Council of the Pharmaceutical Society NI postponed the CPD 2019/20 submission date and subsequently set the new submission date at 31 August 2020, a three-month delay. At its meeting in June 2020, Council reconsidered and affirmed its decision to end the CPD year 2019/2020 on 31 August 2020, with portfolio submissions by all registrants due on that date.
As the above decisions are not reflected in the current CPD Framework and in order to return to a CPD submission date of 31 May, Council approved minor amendments to be made to CPD Year 2020/21. Registrant were notified of these amendments via email and a website announcement in September 2020.
The key changes to CPD Year 2020-21 are as follows:
- CPD Year 2020/21 will run for 9 months from 01 September 2020 – 31 May 2021;
The time requirement for portfolio submissions will reduce as follows:
- Full portfolio: reduced to 22.5 hours including 3.75 hours documentation time;
- Partial portfolio: reduced to 11.25 hours including 2 hours documentation time.
The following notable points remain unchanged:
- CPD portfolio records must be submitted by 31 May each year.
- A minimum number of 4 cycle entries must be recorded in a CPD portfolio annually.
- The minimum requirement for CPD activity has been amended as noted above.
- At least half of all CPD cycle entries must be recorded as ‘scheduled’ or ‘planned’ learning activity, embracing a reflective approach to practice
- Record whether CPD activity is relevant to the ‘safe and effective practice of pharmacy; and, to your scope of practice’
- There are five essential criteria for scheduled (planned) learning activity and two essential criteria for unscheduled (unplanned) learning activity. Failing any one of the essential criteria means that the cycle fails.
- Where a registrant is unable to record an actual application of CPD learning, they can use ‘simulation’ and/or ‘future application of learning’ in the evaluation stage of a CPD cycle
- Registrants who submit a CPD portfolio which does not meet standard in Assessment 1, will be given two further opportunities for remediation in Reassessment 1 and 2. If a portfolio is successful after Reassessment 1, entry into Reassessment 2 will not be required.
- A team of assessors from many sectors of pharmacy practice assess the registrants’ portfolios.
- Registrants who are ‘dual-registered’ (that is, registered with more than one pharmacy regulatory body) must comply with the CPD requirements of each registering body.
- All inquiries or requests for facilitation support, or help with CPD recording, must be directed to the Pharmacy Forum.
- The CPD submission deadline is 31 May each year.
- The submission portal to the online CPD system opens from 1 April each year.
- Paper portfolios must be submitted to, and arrive at the Pharmaceutical Society NI office by the 31 May deadline.
- Any registrant whose portfolio has been selected for CPD assessment will be notified in early June and receive their results by the end of August. On certain occasions this might be slightly delayed.