The Pharmaceutical Society NI is keen to hear the views of our stakeholders in relation to all aspects of our work. This is most valued as we prepare standards and guidance. Below we list the current consultations we are engaged in, details of previous consultations that we have held and details of our responses to consultations held by others.
We are most keen that all our stakeholders: members of the public, pharmacists and advocacy groups, engage with us in our consultations and we encourage all interested parties to note the current consultations and to respond, should they be of interest. If you have any questions or issues not raised in the formal consultation process please contact us at email@example.com.CURRENT CONSULTATIONS
Draft Premises Standards for a Retail Pharmacy Business at or from a Registered Pharmacy 2017
The Council of the Pharmaceutical Society NI is consulting on new Premises Standards for a retail pharmacy business at or from a registered pharmacy, and its associated premises. This consultation will run for eight weeks from Monday 2 October 2017 to 12 noon on Monday 27 November 2017.
With commencement of The Pharmacy (Premises Standards, Information Obligations, etc.) Order 2016 the Pharmaceutical Society NI will:
- be obliged to set new Premises Standards for the safe and effective practice of pharmacy, at a retail pharmacy business at or from a registered pharmacy, and its associated premises; and
- have new powers to enforce these new Premises Standards, in the interest of public protection.
This new legislative framework supports high quality patient care, improved patient safety and promotes the development of pharmacy practice. These new legislative provisions have yet to be commenced in Northern Ireland.
In preparation for commencement of this legislation we are making changes to the regulation of pharmacy retail pharmacy business at or from a registered pharmacy and its associated premises.
The Council of the Pharmaceutical Society NI is therefore consulting on new Premises Standards for a retail pharmacy business at or from a registered pharmacy. Comments and views are being sought from registrants and other stakeholders particularly members of the public and service users.
- Draft Premises Standards
- Consultation Document
- Response Form (PDF)
- Response Form (Word)
- Press Release
Consultation on Pharmacist Prescribers Regulations 2017
Following our recent communication to all Independent Prescribers, the Pharmaceutical Society NI has launched a consultation on proposals for amendment to the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland (General) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1994, in respect of “Pharmacist Prescriber” annotations.
This was an eight week consultation which closed at 12 noon on Monday 9 January 2017.
- Consultation document and proposed regulations: consultation-pharmacist-sp-and-ip-regulations-2017
- Response form “Word”: response-form-consultation-pharmacist-prescribers-regulation-2017
- Response form”Pdf”: response-form-consultation-pharmacist-prescribers-regulations-2017
- Letter to current Pharmacist Independent Prescribers can be found here
Consultation on Fees for 2016/17.
In the letter to registrants of 17 September 2015 the President of the Pharmaceutical Society NI indicated that a fees consultation would be launched for the registration year 2016/17.
Today (30 Nov 2015) the Pharmaceutical Society NI has launched that consultation, which will run for 8 weeks and will close at 12 noon on 25 January 2016.
A copy of the consultation and the response form can be found below:
- Letter to Registrants
- Fees 2016-2017 Consultation Document
- Fees 2016/17 RESPONSE FORM (Word)
- Fees 2016/17 RESPONSE FORM (pdf)
Consultation New proposals on pharmacy dispensing errors and standards.
This UK-wide consultation, issued on behalf of the four UK Health Departments, seeks comments and views on two pharmacy related draft Orders being made under the powers in section 60 of the Health Act 1999. Section 60 orders are subject to Parliamentary scrutiny through the affirmative resolution procedure. The requirement to consult is provided for in the Health Act 1999, in paragraph 9 of Schedule 3.
Because the regulation of pharmacy technicians is a devolved matter as regards Scotland, the draft Orders must be laid before the Scottish Parliament, as well as the UK Parliament. While there is no legislative requirement for the draft Orders to be laid before either the Northern Ireland Assembly, or the National Assembly for Wales, the policy proposals have the support of the Ministers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales and the outcome of the consultation will be reported to all UK health ministers.
Details can be found here: www.gov.uk/government/consultations/pharmacy-legislation-on-dispensing-errors-and-standards
Consultation on proposed Code of Conduct opens on 16 February 2015 and closes at 12 noon 11 May 2015.
This consultation issued by the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland, seeks views and comments on the proposed Code of Conduct 2015. This document, once adopted, will replace the Code of Ethics 2009 and will underpin the functions of the pharmacy regulator and be an integral part of maintaining patient safety. Comments and views are being sought from registrants and other stakeholders particularly members of the public and service users.
- Press Release – Code of Conduct Consultation
- Letter from the Chief Executive – Code of Conduct Consultation
- Draft Code of Conduct
- Code of Conduct consultation document
- RESPONSE-FORM Consultation on Code of Conduct – word
- RESPONSE-FORM Consultation on Code of Conduct – PDF
Consultation on proposed amendment to the Registration of Pharmaceutical Chemists (Exempt Persons) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2008. Consultation closed on 27 April 2015.
This was a joint consultation exercise by the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) and the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland.
In order to ensure the Pharmaceutical Society NI could fully implement the policy aims of the Associated Professions (Knowledge of English) Order 2015, which applies on a UK-wide basis, the Council of the Pharmaceutical Society NI and the DHSSPS consider it necessary to amend the Registration of Pharmaceutical Chemists (Exempt Persons) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2008.
- Press release – Exempt Persons Amendment Regulations
- Exempt Persons Amendment Regulations Consultation document
- Exempt Persons Amendment Regulations Consultation Response Form – word
- Exempt Persons Amendment Regulations Consultation Response Form – Pdf
- Appendix 1 – the Exempt Persons Amendment Regulations
Consultation on Fees closed on 22 December 2014
- Press release fees consultation 22 September 2014
- Letter to Registrants
- Fees Consultation Document – Consultation on fees 2015-17
- RESPONSE-FORM Consultation on Annual Fees – word
- RESPONSE-FORM Consultation on Annual Fees pdf
Consultation on MDS Standards closed on 10 September 2014
- Press release Consultation on Standards for the provision of MDS 18 June 2014
- MDS Standard Consultation Document
- RESPONSE-FORM-Consultation-on draft standards for the provision of MDS
Consultation on Draft Guidance on Professional Indemnity Insurance for Pharmacists in NI – closed on 2/04/14
- Press release
- Professional Indemnity Insurance for Pharmacists in NI Consultation Document
- Letter from the Chief Executive
- Response form
Consultation on CPD framework part 2 closed on 23/01/14
- Press release
- CPD Framework Consultation Document
- Response Form (Annex A)
- Process charts detailing the various processes to aid understanding:
Consultation on the Draft Disclosure and Publication of Fitness to Practise Information – Please note the Closing date for this consultation has been extended to 14/5/13
Consultation on Draft Standards and Guidance for Pharmacist Prescribers closed on 18/12/12
Consultation on the Draft Continuing Professional Development Framework – closed 22/2/13
See the CPD Framework Presentation, explaining the details of this consultation
Outcome of the consultation on the Fees for 2016/17 as presented to Council can be found here – Report on the responses to the consultation on the Fees regulations 2016
Outcome of the consultation on the draft Code of Conduct 2015 can be found here – Report on the responses to the consultation on the draft Code of Conduct
Outcome of the consultation on Monitored Dosage Systems draft Standards can be found here – Report on the responses to the consultation on Monitored Dosage Systems draft Standards
Outcome of the consultation on the Disclosure and Publication of FtP information 2014 can be found here – Report on responses to the consultation on the disclosure and publication of fitness to practise information June 2014
Outcome of the Professional Indemnity Guidance consultation 2014 – Report on the responses to the consultation on draft guidance indemnity cover for pharmacists in NI
Outcome of the CPD Framework Consultation 2014 – Report on the responses to the Consultation on the CPD framework 2014
Outcome of the CPD Framework Consultation – CPD Post Consultation Summary Report 2013.
At the Council meeting of 5 July 2016, the Council of the Pharmaceutical Society NI agreed that their response to the Department of Health’s (NI) consultation “the Future of Pharmacy Regulation in Northern Ireland” should be published. Below is a copy of that response as delivered to the Department of Health on Friday 10 June 2016.